There’s always something thrilling about finishing a project at the absolute last minute, which may be part of why I waited till the eleventh hour to start working on most of my high school (and, let’s be honest) college essays. This dress was definitely that kind of project. And it shows… there are definitely many imperfections, but overall I’m happy with it!
Sewing is something I generally do in shorter increments of time these days, so luckily I had already cut and prepped a lot of the pieces a couple of weeks prior. However, most of the work on this dress was completed the day before I was planning on wearing it, for a performance at a local arts and wine festival. I sang as a guest on a few songs with a fantastic band performing there. They are seriously great musicians, and it was humbling to be on stage with them, particularly the vocalist Kenny Washington, who is as kind and generous as he is prodigiously talented.
This dress is actually made from the same pattern I used for an earlier make – which was in turn based off a dress I bought at Crossroads Thrift Store. The differences in this one – I used a woven instead of a stretch woven, French seamed everything, and slashed/spread the sleeves and lengthened them so they were more fluttery than before. Slowly but surely, I’m refining this pattern into something I can make multiple ways. However, the idiosyncrasies that happen when you’re not a professional drafter have inspired me to learn more about drafting myself; it’s annoying when pieces don’t match and edges don’t meet up.
TIPS: I found this tutorial from Lladybird to be very helpful in finishing cap sleeves.
The fabric is a rayon/ viscose from Stone Mountain Daughter Fabrics, and thankfully I bought enough of it to make a tank top as well. I don’t see it on their online store, but they do have some beautiful rayons in stock right now!
Thanks to James Jordan for the performance photos!